We are seeking a creative and motivated Manager/Director, Events & Experiences (Canada and Overseas) to join our high performing team. You will be based in Montreal or Toronto and will be working with our national and international teams around the globe. The incumbent will provide the vision and develop the plan to execute signature events, small and large, across Canada and overseas to raise awareness and funds for the world-renowned Weizmann Institute of Science.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
You are a curious and passionate individual who takes pride in their work. You understand the importance of recognizing, and engaging our supporters as well as broadening our base, enabling us to tell the Weizmann story to new people. You have a keen understanding of trends in both the event and fundraising industry and are excited by the opportunity to engage our supporters in unique and creative ways.
You are an out-of-the-box thinker. You are someone who adapts well to change and can influence people. You are flexible, proactive, resourceful, and willing to test out new ideas. You are self-motivated, equally comfortable working autonomously and as part of a team. You have vision for the bigger picture and are great at seeing the steps needed to constantly improve effectiveness.
You are flexible to work with people in different time zones and you understand that you will need to be present at events, which may occur during the weekend or in the evenings.
- Develop concepts, plan and manage large and small events across Canada from inception to completion ensuring goals are met. This would include negotiating locations/venues, suppliers, communication, transportation, budgeting, programming, technology, human resource management (including volunteers), participant registration and payment and other event components
- Work with colleagues at the Weizmann Institute to connect with scientists aligned with our events, to organize VIP visits and to represent Canada in the organization of all international events
- Collaborate closely with our event production team, as well as colleagues internally in Communications, Development and Donor & Volunteer Relations to achieve overall engagement objectives
- Proactively identify new ways to improve the event experience, including but not limited to technology, mission integration and communication
- Take a leadership role in meetings as required, preparing documentation for meetings, and ensuring timely follow-up on action items
- Create and develop best practices and procedures to save time, effort and costs
- Build and maintain professional relationships with suppliers and vendors
- Secure and coordinate event sponsors and gift in kind sponsorships to achieve event revenue goals
- Develop and manage accurate budgets
- Prepare and deliver post-event evaluation reports, highlighting successes and opportunities for improvements
The candidate will have the opportunity to travel nationally and internationally, thus; a valid passport is also required.
- University or College degree in event planning or project management or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 10+ years of event management experience preferably in a not-for-profit setting
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Weizmann Canada and the Weizmann Institute of Science
- Exceptional time management, planning and organizational skills, with an emphasis on detail and accuracy
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, and as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Weizmann Canada
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience in budget development and management and delivery of expected financial results
- Good decision-making skills, tactful, good listener, willingness to search out answers, ability to recognize when others need to be involved in activities or decisions
- Customer service experience in a professional environment
- Confidence, polish, and a high level of professionalism
- Ability to work under pressure, plan, organize and prioritize work
- Bilingual (French/English) would be an asset
- Advanced level of proficiency in MS Office and working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge
- Experience with project management software (e.g., Asana, Basecamp or the like)
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CULTURE:
- Busy, service- and results-oriented, collaborative and supportive environment
- Shared commitment and support of the overall goals of the organization
Weizmann Canada is committed to providing an excellent work environment for team members to be their best self. We offer a highly competitive compensation package, commensurate with experience including a robust benefits plan.
ABOUT THE WEIZMANN INSTITUTE:
The Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, is one of the world’s top-ranking multidisciplinary research institutions. Weizmann is the only non-U.S. institution in the top eight within the 2020 Leiden Ranking, placing the Institute in company with the likes of Princeton, MIT, and Harvard. The Institute also ranked second worldwide in the normalized 2019 Nature Index. The normalized index looks at the ratio of publications in the best scientific journals measured against total output; Weizmann may be small, but its contribution is mighty.
Noted for its wide-ranging exploration of the natural and exact sciences, the Institute is home to over 3,000 scientists, students, technicians and supporting staff. Institute research efforts include the search for new ways of fighting disease and hunger, examining leading questions in mathematics and computer science, probing the physics of matter and the universe, creating novel materials, and developing new strategies for protecting the environment.
ABOUT WEIZMANN CANADA:
Individuals, corporations, and foundations around the world invest generously in the Weizmann Institute’s research, graduate education and scientific outreach programs, including many Canadians who share our belief in the power of research to create a brighter tomorrow.
Weizmann Canada is a national community with a core group of dedicated donors and volunteers, and 13 professional staff who share a common vision with the Institute of advancing science for the benefit of humanity.
- To raise awareness and support for the Weizmann Institute of Science in order to maintain its standards of excellence, and;
- To encourage science literacy across all age groups through events featuring scientists and through education programs.
A better world one question at a time.
JOY OF SCIENCE
- A passion for basic science drives discovery. The absolute academic freedom, multidisciplinary approach and live-on-campus culture of the Weizmann Institute of Science nurture the joy of science.
- This same passion inspires the team, donors and volunteers at Weizmann Canada. We are driven by our own love of discovery and learning. We are driven by the purpose of science: to develop new knowledge to benefit humanity and improve the world.
HOPE IN ACTION
- At the Weizmann Institute, the scientists and their students think collaboratively and creatively to develop new knowledge that benefits humanity. Basic research requires a long-term vision.
- At Weizmann Canada, we invest in discovery, recognizing that with time, space, and resources the scientists at Weizmann put hope in action and make a global impact.
- Curiosity is core to Weizmann’s approach to innovation and excellence. With freedom to question, Weizmann scientists are able to develop new knowledge, and achieve ground-breaking and sometimes unexpected discoveries.
- At Weizmann Canada, we are dedicated to fostering, empowering and supporting curiosity-driven science.
- At Weizmann, there is an openness to share knowledge and embrace new ideas. The multidisciplinary approach catalyzes unbounded creativity and original thinking.
- At Weizmann Canada, we are committed – together. We take collective responsibility to be catalysts for scientific discovery.
- At the Weizmann Institute, respect for the world and humanity drives our science.
- At Weizmann Canada, respect and gratitude are core to everything we do.